Spring Fling postcard swap!



Here are Fabric Postcards I made for an Alpha Stamps swap using Alpha Stamps Fabric collage images from the Victorian image sheet: Court of Flora, and the Children's Illustration sheet called: Butterflies -May 2007. I used patterned tissue paper, lots of rubber stamps (some of the are from Alpha Stamps) and VersaCraft ink, which I heat set with my heat gun.


spring 5 postcard, originally uploaded by creativelenna

More details: I picked out some hand-dyed fabric in orangey-yellow, pinkish-orange and also purple-ish colors and cut them to size -- 2 pieces 4" x 6" for each postcard. First, I took my Tissue paper (greenish with pink flowers) ripped a section of it away from the main piece. I brushed a light coat of matte medium to the back of this gift tissue paper and applied it to the front of my fabric postcard. I did this to all of my postcards so that by the time I got back to the first one, the tissue paper was just about dry and I could continue to work.

Then I took the fabric image from the Butterflies sheet: or the Court of Flora sheet -Alpha Stamps, and cut the image out. I used a zig zag stitch to sew it onto the top of the fabric postcard, and sometimes just ½ of the image on top of the tissue paper. Next, I used rubber stamps with VersaCraft ink. Some of the stamps are from Alpha Stamps. I stamped some images on top of the tissue paper, some directly on the fabric. Then I heat set this ink with my heat gun. It is meant for stamping on fabric and fine for paper too, permanent when heat set, of course important for this project! I used Tacky glue to glue the lime green zig zag trim on (above -purple one) and then sewed a thin ribbon on some of the postcards.









On the other side (the address side) I used only rubber stamps with VersaCraft inks and heat set. I put a stabilizer in the middle – you could use batting, interfacing, Pellon, buckram, a thin piece of cardboard, leftover fabric . . . . whatever you like, and then stitched the 2 pieces together with my sewing machine. A self adhesive postage stamp works well.
(Thanks for asking, Karen!)




I hope you try this project too!