1. I had heart surgery when I was 6 years old and was hospitalized for 6 weeks. My mother recently shared with me that my grandfather (her father) often came to visit me and he said to my mother, “Lenna is so bored that she has taken to putting a crayon between her toes and drawing pictures that way!” I had Patent Ductus Arteriosus, a heart valve problem.
2. I met my husband when I was 15 years old, but did not marry him until I was 48! A long courtship? No . . . our first marriages ended when both our spouses left us. We were good friends through the years (Steven watched my children grow up) but I never thought of him romantically until after John left. Steven, on the other hand, freely admits (now) that he has always had a crush on me!
3. I just got fitted for contacts last week and I am still learning how to put them in. I think with practice it will become easier. It is so refreshing not to have to wear glasses all the time!
4. William Glackens, my great uncle, was a famous American Impressionist at the turn of the Century. You can search for him on Google and find lots of links, or go to my website. He married the sister of my grandfather noted above. It has been my great pleasure to have been named after his daughter, Lenna Glackens, despite confusion on how to pronounce my name and many misspellings! For pronunciation, think: Lenna, like henna : ^)
5. My parents kicked me out of the house when I was 17 years old after I told them I did not go camping; instead, I had spent the night at my boyfriend’s house! My mom packed up most of my belongings and put them out on the porch. I moved in with my boyfriend (in another town) and drove to High School every day (about 20 minutes) until I graduated a few months later. I now think that my parents were very smart to do this.
6. After clearing my throat pretty much constantly for over a year, I saw an allergist and found out I am allergic to dust mites and pollen! I decided to go with allergy shots and my symptoms are so much better now, phew. Thank you, Steven, for putting your foot down!
7. My grandmother on my father’s side was called Nonie, by me. I am the oldest grandchild. Nonie passed away in perhaps 1999, but I am still fondly called “Lenna-pie” (her pet name for me) by many of my family and friends. This makes me happy and keeps her spirit near me.