Playing with Mica

On the Alpha Stamps Yahoo Group, the discussion turned to mica . . . Alpha Stamps sells mica, both sheets and crushed. I knew had some tucked away somewhere . . . At the same time, when perusing the Quilting Arts newsletter online, I ran across instructions by Kelli Perkins for making mica tags -check out the instructions HERE. I did a variation on Kelli's instructions by not coloring the mica with alchohol inks as she did, and I used Alpha Stamp collage sheet images as my laser printed images for the tape treansfer and was quite pleased with the results. I sandwiched my transfers in-between pieces of mica and used gel medium as instructed to adhere the transfers. It took a while to dry, but it did eventually, and I was a happy camper!
Then I took my mica/transfer piece and brought it over to the plain notebook that I wanted to decorate. I opted to lay some handmade papers down first -click on the image above for more detail. I attached the papers to the front cover with Tacky glue. Then I adhered the mica piece over the papers with E6000 glue. This glue works great for something non-porous like mica. I added the stream of ribbon with Tacky glue but added the metal roses, magnetic words, bird & other charm with E6000 glue. On the inside, I covered the plain end papers with a different script paper and I created a pocket for my business card as I am thinking of selling this piece!
(I sold it in July, after I brought it to the Bleu Willow shop in Simsbury!)













I also made a second mica - packing tape transfer piece, see below. This time I used an image from a new Alpha Stamp sheet called Moon & Stars. I just love this new image sheet! Moon & stars is an important theme to me, but the images themselves are just lovely. Again, I used gel medium to adhere the packing tape transfer I made to the mica . . . and then this time, I elected to SEW the piece of mica to a piece of fabric, and old linen of my Nonie's! It was not as hard to do as I thought and it worked just fine, but I do have an old needle on my machine.

I took the mica/fabric piece and I added it to more fabric and batting. I made a 6x6 quiltie on a 'shades of white' theme that I will sew together with lots of other white quilties made by participants in a quilties swap that finished back in April! I have a beautiful stack of quilties in my studio that were given to me for hosting the swap and I really wanted to add one of my own to the mix before doing anything.

I hope you enjoy and this post inspires you to play a bit with different materials like mica. : )